Monday, June 28, 2010

Forgiveness

Yesterday at Church our wonderful Pastor spoke on forgiveness. I won't lie I wasn't feeling well, I didn't want to go but I now see why all of the excuses were popping up. Anyways, despite all of the reasons to not go I went. And I am SO glad I did. I think everyone can use a good preaching on Forgiveness.
Here are some notes I had:

When someone does something to offend you, it isn't NATURAL to forgive them

When you refuse to forgive someone, you are the one in bondage

Too often what we do in human nature is keep score; And we feel a way we can punish them is by withholding forgiveness from them. As long as we don't forgive then you have the person in bondage.

Have you extended grace to the person who has sinned against you. We live supernatural lives, not natural lives

If we don't forgive we think it will make them behave. We make them try to earn our forgiveness. They then wonder what they can do and struggle with that.

Romans says: "Do you not know that it is the goodness of God to lead them to repentance"
Proverbs : By mercy truth and iniquity are purged.

We don't forgive cause as long as we don't forgive it keeps the focus on that person and keeps the focus off me. Before you refuse to forgive someone you need to remember you aren't perfect either. Have you never sinned against them? Basically it is not talking about what you ahve done but how htey have wronged you.

If you want to be free you must forgive

Ephesians 4 "Let all bitterness and wrath and bitter speaking be put away from you with all malice.
Bitterness- is an addiction to anger.

STOP TREATING OTHERS AS IF THEY AHVE NO VALUE OR PLACE IN YOUR LIFE.
"And be ye kind one to another forgiving one another just as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you."
Forgiving one another. ARe you willing to forgive?

Why should it be done? Even for God, through Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Yes, I was challenged by that. So, here I am practicing what I have heard preached. :)

1 comment:

  1. i realized really quickly what the note said about expecting the person to earn forgiveness and then not knowing what they could do....often when something has been done, nothing can be done to change what happened. it is what it is. i think focusing on not forgiving being a way to bind ourselves is important. in most situations, i've been quick to forgive because i can't handle the suffocation of my anger.
    let us live supernaturally. let us lavish forgiveness and light into the lives of those that hurt us!

    ReplyDelete